131st Bomb Wing Heritage Park...sharing the legacy
By Senior Master Sgt. Mary-Dale Amison, 131st Bomb Wing Public Affairs
/ Published November 06, 2015
WHITEMAN AIR FORCE BASE, Mo -- The Missouri Air National Guard's 131st Bomb Wing Heritage Park officially opened in June and the installation is now complete with the recent addition of lava rock around the base of each aircraft and the Minuteman statue.
The Citizen-Airmen of the 131st Bomb Wing at Whiteman, who were not with the wing at it s previous location at Lambert Field in Saint Louis, are now able to view wing legacy aircraft closeup instead of just reading about them in books.
The 131st's aviation history is quite extensive dating back to its first aircraft in 1923, the Curtiss JN-4 "Jenny," of the 110th Observation Squadron of the 35th Division, Missouri National Guard, on up to the present day Northrup Grumman B-2 Stealth "Spirit" here at Whiteman Air Force Base. The wing has flown an impressive 50+ different model aircraft through the years!
A special thank you and job well done to all who participated in the preparation of the land, the relocations from Saint Louis, and all the TLC that went into bringing the 131st's legacy F-100 "Supersabre," F-4 "Phantom," and F-15 "Eagle" back to their glory days!
From June 23, 1923 to the the present day....the wing celebrates 90+ years of aviation heritage... "Parati Ad Agendum" (Ready for Action)...Go Guard!