History of the 131st Fighter Wing
Published March 04, 2008
The 131st Fighter Wing, Missouri Air National Guard, has had a long and illustrious record of service to the State of Missouri and the United States of America. From natural disasters to service in the Korean War, Desert Storm, the men and women of the 131st Fighter Wing have responded to changing world events and tasking requirements with dignity, honor and courage.
1923 The Missouri Air National Guard traces it roots back to the 110th Observation Squadron, organized by Major Bill Robertson and his brothers, Lieutenants Frank and Dan Robertson.
Unit officers purchased the first aircraft, a JN-4 "Jenny". Their first pilot on the "St Louis to Chicago" airmail run was a lanky young man named Charles Lindbergh.
1927 Captain Charles Lindbergh made his historic Trans-Atlantic solo flight.
1930's The unit received new aircraft, the O-38 and the first mid-wing, all metal aircraft - O-47
The unit was federally mobilized for World War II, and redesignated as the 110th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron.
1944 Unit was awarded the President Unit Citation for the attack on Japanese Naval Task Force. In all, the unit destroyed 122 aircraft and 11 ships.
1963 The 128th was the first Air National Guard tanker unit to become fully operational. This occurred in December 1963 when combat ready status was achieved.
1957 The unit entered the "Jet Age" with the acquisition of T-33, F-80 and F-84 Thunderstreak.
1960's The unit was federally mobilized for the Berlin Crisis. Assigned to Toul-Rosieres Air Force Base in France. The unit members delivered gifts to local orphans during Christmas of 1961.
The 110th adopted a Wing mascot, Airman Banjo A. Burro.
The unit acquired the F-100 "Supersabre". This aircraft remained a part of the unit for more than 17 years.
1977 Charles Lindbergh's widow gives permission to designate 110th Tactical Fighter Squadron as "Lindbergh's Own"
1978 Acquired the "home grown" McDonnell Douglas F-4 "Phantom".
1982 The new wing headquarters was formally dedicated to the memory of the Robertson brothers, William, Frank, and Daniel. The Guest of Honor at the Robertson Building grand opening was the sister of the brothers, Mrs. Betty Robertson.
1991 Unit acquired a new aircraft, the McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle
Members of the 131st Security Police Flight were mobilized in support of Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm.
1993 More than 500 members from the 131st Fighter Wing and the tenant units located at Lambert International Airport were called into service to battle the "Great Flood".
2000 The 131st Fighter Wing deployed to Prince Sultan Air Base in support of AEF.
2001 - 2002 The 131st Fighter Wing deployed to Keflavik, Iceland fulfilling an entire 90-day Air Expeditionary Force rotation
2004 The unit began its transition from the F-15A to the F-15C Eagle aircraft.
2005 The 131st Fighter Wing continues to successfully support many on-going operations abroad, along with continuing to accomplish it's mission at home.
The 131st Fighter Wing has proudly served the State of Missouri and the United States of America for over 80 years. We will continue to serve -- anytime, anywhere.