Col. Matthew Calhoun is the vice commander of the 131st Bomb Wing, a classic associate wing with the active duty 509th Bomb Wing at Whiteman Air Force Base, Missouri. He is second in command of the National Guard’s only B-2 unit that provides over 1,200 combat ready Citizen-Airmen for both state and federal missions.
Col. Calhoun received his commission as a distinguished graduate of the Reserve Officer Training Corps at The Ohio State University. After graduation from pilot training at Vance AFB, Oklahoma, he qualified as a B-52H pilot and was assigned to Minot AFB, North Dakota There he upgraded to aircraft commander and instructor pilot while serving as a standardization and evaluation pilot, flight commander, and Operations Group executive officer. In 2002, he deployed in support of Operation ENDURING FREEDOM and flew 12 combat sorties over Afghanistan. In 2003, he deployed to RAF Fairford, U.K., and flew seven combat sorties in Operation IRAQI FREEDOM. After commanding over 250 combat hours in the B-52, he was competitively selected for the B-2. In 2004, he moved to Whiteman AFB and qualified as a B-2 pilot and mission commander. He upgraded to B-2 instructor/evaluator pilot and served as the flight commander for the 13th Bomb Squadron and the 394th Combat Training Squadron. His first tour at Whiteman culminated as the 13th Bomb Squadron director of operations. In 2008, he was assigned as an Air Force Fellow in the Strategic Communication program at George Mason University, Virginia. The following year the needs of the Air Force moved Calhoun to Barksdale AFB, Louisiana, to help lead the stand-up of Air Force Global Strike Command. There he served as B-2 weapon system team chief in the A5/8 Directorate, responsible for $2.7 billion of B-2 upgrade and sustainment programs as well as the annual $1 billion operating budget. He was also part of a select team that established initial requirements for the future Long Range Strike Bomber, now known as the B-21. In 2011, Calhoun returned to Whiteman AFB as the 393rd Bomb Squadron director of operations prior to taking command of the 72nd Test and Evaluation Squadron. As commander, he was responsible for operational test and evaluation of the B-2 and all related maintenance support. He transitioned to the Missouri Air National Guard in 2014 as the 131st Bomb Wing chief of safety. And, prior to serving as vice wing commander, he commanded the 131st Aircraft Maintenance Squadron.
1996 Bachelor of Science in Civil and Environmental Engineering, The Ohio State University, Columbus
1996 Distinguished Graduate, U.S. Air Force ROTC
2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2009 Intermediate Developmental Education - Strategic Policy Internship, USAF Fellows
2009 Masters of Science, Strategic Communication, George Mason University, Fairfax, Va.
2015 Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1. June 1996 - February 1998, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance AFB, Okla.
2. February 1998 - June 1999, B-52H Student Pilot, 11th Bomb Squadron, Barksdale AFB La.
3. June 1999 - September 2003, B-52H Standardization and Evaluation Pilot, Aircraft Commander, and Flight Commander, 23d Bomb Squadron, Minot AFB, N.D.
4. September 2003 - August 2004, B-52H Instructor Pilot, Executive Officer, 5th Operations Group, Minot AFB, N.D.
5. August 2004 - October 2005, B-2A Student Pilot, 394th Combat Training Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
6. October 2005 - June 2007, B-2A Instructor Pilot, Chief of Training, and Flight Commander, 13th Bomb Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
7. June 2007 - December 2007, Instructor Pilot and Flight Commander, 394th Combat Training Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
8. December 2007 - July 2008, Director of Operations, 13th Bomb Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
9. July 2008 - December 2009, IDE Student, Air Force Fellows and Strategic Communication Masters Program, George Mason University, Fairfax, Va.
10. December 2009 - December 2011, Chief of Bomber Programming and B-2A Requirements, A5/8 Directorate of Plans, Programs & Requirements, Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale AFB, La.
11. December 2011 - April 2013, Director of Operations, 393rd Bomb Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
12. April 2013 - July 2014, Commander, 72nd Test and Evaluation Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
13. July 2014 - February 2015, Chief of Safety, 131st Bomb Wing, Missouri Air National Guard, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
14. February 2015 - July 2016, Commander, 131st Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Missouri Air National Guard, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: More than 3,000 hours
Aircraft Flown: T-37B, T-38A, B-52H, and B-2A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with Four Oak Leaf Clusters
Air Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Combat Action Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 1996
First Lieutenant June 1998
Captain June 2000
Major July 2006
Lieutenant Colonel October 2011
Colonel September 2016
(Current as of December 2018)